Saturday, December 27, 2008

Campaigning

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, folks!

Lately, I put my Ptolus d20 game on hiatus after about 35 sessions and 13 levels. It's not reached the end, as I was hoping to take my players from level 1 to 20, but I found that I was foundering.

Running a campaign, or a collection of connected adventures, is a tough challenge over the long haul. I think the most important thing to remember is to keep focus. I put the game on hiatus because I found that I was wandering all over the map, throwing things at my players with little rhyme or reason. I was hoping that it would all gel, and that was not the proper way to do things. My players picked up on the lack of focus and weren't sure what they should be doing. I felt like I was desperately trying to keep my head above water. The game was not fun.

I think part of the reason I lost focus was that I had used some large published modules to fill out the campaign. When those were done, I had gotten so used to using the modules to give me direction, I wasn't sure what to do anymore.

Another problem is the length of the campaign. Dungeons and Dragons assumes that you will play the game from level 1 to 20. If you play one session a week, and it takes two or three sessions to go up one level, it can take more than a year to complete the campaign (probably closer to 2 years, as you likely won't play EVERY week.) Telling a connected story over that length of time is exhausting. Also, your players won't be able to remember everything over that length of time.

The best solution for this that I've come up with is to have story-arcs in a campaign. For a few levels, the players will deal with one story, usually involving one or two villains. They complete a few adventures revolving around this story-arc, and they get to feel a sense of completion, of closure.

I can only guess where this is going to go next, but I hope to take a few weeks off and think about where I want the campaign to go, and how I want to play it.

One last thing. While I was in Fayetteville, NC, I visited an old gaming store and picked up and old book called "Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering" by Robin D. Laws. It's a good read and has some really good advice.

Now Reading: Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt

No comments: